Young and gifted
Leuven Jazz provides a stage for young artists and gives young music fans the opportunity to discover jazz.
- B-Jazz international contest (FRI 20 + SAT 21 + SUN 22.03)
Six young bands compete in one of the most prestigious European jazz competitions. This year's finalists are O.N.E. Quintet, Milton Man Gogh, Claudio JR De Rosa Jazz 4tet, Guido Della Gatta Quartet, Meatshell and Max Petersen Trio. Each evening is concluded with an international jam session.
- In STUK Café, you can enjoy these fine jazz concerts with a twist:
Brand-new future jazz trio PAARD. (FRI 20.03) combines jazz, hip hop rhythms, funky grooves and outer-worldly melodies,
Emil De Waal & Spejderrobot present their new album '3' with singer Band Ane (SUN 22.03)
and John Ghost mixes a David Lynch kind of mood, capricious melodies in the lines of Zappa and dance rhythms (SUN 29.03).
- Cosy jazz club La Conserve is the dream location for some intimate jazz concerts:
Rising star pianist Elliot Galvin will present his brand-new solo cd with an improvised set (SUN 22.03) and also the quintet Synestet with clarinettist Hélène Duret guarantees an innovative improvised jazz sound (SUN 22.03).
Young Belgian duo SCHNTZL presents its second album, a beautiful blend of jazz and electronics (MON 23.03), and
singer Sofia Jernberg will explore the limits of her voice in an improvised session with pianist Alexander Hawkins (SUN 29.03).
- The brand-new 'Jazz up your Kot' will bring a series of free jazz concerts in student rooms (called 'Kot' in Leuven). The participation of Mattias de Craene (MDC III, Nordmann), Karen Willems (Inwolves, Yuko) and Hanne De Backer (Condor Gruppe, Gabbro) has already been confirmed and the full programme will be launched approx. one month before the strart of Leuven Jazz.
The evening ends at 30CC/Schouwburg with a concert by The Inbetweens, the exciting jazz guitar trio of guitarist Mike Gamble, bass player Noah Jarrett (son of Keith) and drummer Conor Elmes (Youngblood Brass Band). (THU 26.03)
- Pianist Bram De Looze (LABtrio, Pentadox, Robin Verheyen …) will present his new solo project 'Viñoly', in collaboration with piano builder Chris Maene. The brand-new Viñoly grand piano, designed by the world-famous architect Rafael Viñoly, has a revolutionary slightly-domed keyboard and a wonderfully transparent sound. (SUN 29.03)
- As an annual tradition, the students of the LUCA jazz department present several theme ensembles with a repertoire based on some of the greatest stars in the history of jazz, such as Dave Brubeck, Thelonious Monk and Michel Legrand. (TUE 24.03>SUN 29.03)