Muriel Grossmann quartet (replaces Lakecia Benjamin) + NΔBOU
presale: € 21 (section 1) – € 19 (section 2) – € 14 (section 3)
doors: € 24 (section 1) - € 22 (section 2) - € 17 (section 3)
- KU Leuven Culture Card: - € 2 on all rates
- UiTPAS reduction rate (fixed rates): € 4,80 (section 1) - € 4,40 (section 2) - € 3,40 (section 3)
change of programme:
In Belgium as well as in the international jazz scene, trombonist and composer Nabou Claerhout is named as “definitely one to watch out for”. With her fresh compositions and innovating sound, she was already a guest at the online edition of Leuven Jazz 2021, in an exclusive Blind Date with Lynn Cassiers.
Her NΔBOU quartet is also a breath of fresh air on the Belgian jazz scene, thanks to their original line-up of trombone, electric guitar, double bass and drums. On the trombone, Claerhout is looking for a sound all her own: using of all sorts of effects, she creates a dreamy musical framework with a strong atmospheric and melancholic resonance.
After their first outing with debut EP Hubert (2019), the band is refining that special sound further on their first full album You Know (October 2021). Lush and intimate sounds are alternated with strongly rhythmically based compositions, while groovy bass riffs from Trui Amerlinck, Mathias Vercammen’s elaborated drum patterns and the modern, virtuoso guitar play of Roeland Celis play their part as well in this musical adventure full of highlights – all created in combination with Claerhout’s distinctive trombone playing “that sings, cries, pulsates, tells and knows how to make many hearts week through well-constructed contemporary pieces”.
MURIEL GROSSMANN QUARTET
Austrian composer and saxophonist, born in Paris, Muriel Grossmann, who has been resident on Ibiza since 2004, is leader of the acclaimed Muriel Grossmann Quartet featuring Radomir Milojkovic on guitar, Llorenç Barceló on organ and Uros Stamenkovic on drums.
Muriel has a long and successful trajectory, releasing albums with her own compositions yearly for 15 years. Her music has fueled international interest and has been described as ‘timeless beautiful”, “innovative akin to transcendence” and “incredibly powerful” … The Muriel Grossmann Quartet has been acclaimed by important jazz writers and media, like UK Vibe, All About Jazz, Thom Jurek - AllMusic Guide, Denise Sullivan - DownBeat, NYC Jazz Record, Dusty Groove, Gilles Peterson - BBC and many more.
Her album Golden Rule, deeply rooted in spiritual jazz, was voted Best Album Of The Year 2018 in UKVIBE, and chosen for Gilles Peterson’s Worldwide Awards (Best Jazz Albums). After that Muriel and her group recorded the albums Reverence, Quiet Earth and Union, which have been very well received by fans and critics.
In their recordings, the heritage and spirit of John Coltrane is quite noticeable. In its 5-star review on Union, UK VIBE praised Grossmann as she has “managed to successfully shine a beautiful light on Coltrane’s legacy, whilst composing and performing new original music that is undoubtedly their own, breathing new life into the style of music that Coltrane, and others, began some fifty-plus years ago.”
Or in the words of New York City Jazz Records: “Saxophonist Muriel Grossmann is the consummate combination of jazz spirituality, blues and funk. While directing her band to maintain a modern creative groove, she beckons John Coltrane’s spirit with a single note. With equal nods to Coltrane and Al Kooper, Grossmann is ‘Her Holy Modal Highness’ … Recorded in studio, the session impresses with the immediacy of a live performance. When Coltrane said he had found a way into a new kind of music this is what he was talking about. …”
Muriel and her band have been invited to places like Duc des Lombard, Paris Jazz Festival, Sonic City Festival, Le Guess Who? Festival, We Jazz Festival, We Out Here Festival, Porgy & Bess and many more. And now, for the very first time, at Leuven Jazz!
20.00 - 21.00 uur: NΔBOU
21.20 - 22.30 uur: Muriel Grossmann Quartet
Aftershow ADJA: 40'
- “UNION …Completely stunning music from the marvelous Muriel Grossmann – a saxophonist who’s become one of our favorite jazz talents over the course of the past decade – thanks to deeply spiritual work like this!... If you’ve not heard the music of Muriel Grossman before, you’re in for a treat – and if you have, your collection of really special albums just got one record bigger!” (Dusty Groove, Chicago)
- “The band are so together, journeying on and outward … It’s an incredibly powerful sound … “ (UK VIBE)
- “Timeless and innovative ... a stroke of musical genius” (Mike Gates, UK Vibe)
- “ … a listening experience akin to transcendence” (Andrew Jones, Down Beat)
- “Vibrant, passionate, exhilarating. A monument of spiritual jazz” (Mark Sarrazy, Impro Jazz)
- “A journey that takes off like a missile, passes through meditation, reaches nirvana and ends with thanksgiving” (Elliot Simon, NYC Jazz Records)
- “… timelessly beautiful” (Christian Bakonyi, Concert)
NΔBOU: Nabou Claerhout (trombone, compositions), Roeland Celis (elektric guitar), Trui Amerlinck (double bass) and Mathias Vercammen (drums)
Muriel Grossmann quartet: Muriel Grossmann (saxophones and compositions), Radomir Milojkovic (guitar), Llorenç Barcelo (hammond B3 organ) and Uros Stamenkovic (drums)